Feds: Brothers ran an alleged multibillion-dollar scheme. Now 1,000 Matamoros workers are paying the price.
Workers gather outside a Cardone facility in Matamoros, Mexico, as city officials and volunteers provide humanitarian and medical assistance to employees affected by the company’s shutdown. Courtesy of | State of Tamaulipas

Federal prosecutors say two brothers who led a major U.S. auto parts manufacturer ran a multi-billion dollar scheme that triggered a corporate collapse — a move that is now leaving at least 1,000 workers in Matamoros without jobs or access to their savings.

On Thursday, federal prosecutors in New York unsealed an indictment against Patrick James, the founder and former CEO of First Brands Group, and his brother Edward James, a former senior executive. They allegedly used fake and inflated invoices, pledged the same collateral to multiple lenders, and concealed mounting debt as part of a scheme that lasted for several years.

Prosecutors allege the years-long fraud ultimately bankrupted the company and left lenders and creditors facing billions of dollars in losses.

The fallout is now rippling across factories in northern Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley as the company restructures under bankruptcy protection and winds down operations across North America, including in plants located in Matamoros and Harlingen.

The bankrupt company operates in the U.S. under brands such as Cardone and Brake Parts Inc., which correspond to the Tridonex and BPI Manufacturing subsidiaries in Mexico.

At the time of its bankruptcy filing in September, the company reported roughly $5 billion in annual revenue but had about $12 million in cash and more than $9 billion in liabilities, according to court documents.

Workers caught in the collapse

At least 1,000 workers in Matamoros were notified Monday that their jobs had been cut, Susana Prieto Terrazas, legal representative for workers at Tridonex, Cardone, and BPI Manufacturing in Matamoros, said.

Susana Prieto Terrazas
Susana Prieto Terrazas

“They left 1,000 families without jobs. They took their savings funds and their employee savings accounts,” she said.

In many Mexican maquiladora plants, savings funds are built through payroll deductions that are managed by employers, meaning workers can lose access when companies shut down or enter bankruptcy before balances are settled.

The news triggered protests outside affected plants in Matarmoros and left workers uncertain about whether they would be reinstated or permanently dismissed. 

The impact, however, goes well beyond Tamaulipas, Prieto Terrazas said. 

“There are 1,000 workers in Matamoros, 1,000 in Juárez, others in Mexicali, in Los Reyes, State of Mexico, in the Bajío, and another plant affected in Reynosa,” she said.

Taken together, she estimated the total number of affected workers could approach 3,000.

Who has been charged

Patrick James, 61, was charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, multiple counts of wire fraud and bank fraud, and managing a continuing financial crimes enterprise.

Edward James, 60, was charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and multiple counts of wire fraud and bank fraud.

Prosecutors say the alleged schemes were used to obtain billions in financing while masking the company’s true financial condition.

A third former First Brands executive, Peter Andrew Brumbergs, has already pleaded guilty in the case and is cooperating with federal authorities, according to prosecutors.

Rio Grande Valley Business Journal reporters Anayancy Ulloa and Kristen Mosbrucker-Garza contributed to this report.


Daily Business Update

Get the latest business news delivered to your inbox every morning for free.

    Try 30 Days Free!

    Get full access to award-winning journalism covering business, real estate, health care, economic trends, and the people shaping the Rio Grande Valley.

    30 Days Free!

    $9.95/month

    Limited time offer

    Subscription renews after your 30 day free trial at $9.95/mo.

    Included Benefits


    • Unlimited access to all articles
    • Daily business news and analysis
    • Subscriber-only content and features
    Get Full Access

    Breaking: HUD order to verify tenants’ legal status puts Valley residents at risk of displacement

    February 4, 2026 • 3 min read

    The move could affect nearly 14,300 households across the Valley, where thousands of families rely on Section 8 vouchers to... Read more »

    Rio Grande LNG adds $6M in new buildings at Port of Brownsville 

    July 29, 2026 • 2 min read

    The latest state filings include a security building, laboratory, fire truck station, chemical storage facility, and other operational structures.... Read more »